Try to think as clearly as possible of the reasons why you have chosen you want to lose weight.
When you have isolated the reasons, doesnt matter if there’s one, two or many, then jot them down. These are the reasons you have suddenly decided to lose weight. These should be the subjects of your objectives. I will give a few examples to help you to understand the concept:
1. Reason to consider weight loss: You’re embarrassed going into a boutique and trying on size 18 dresses.
Objective: To be able to go into boutiques and try on size 12 dresses…..successfully.
2. Reason to consider weight loss: You’ve read a lot about the association of being overweight and hypertension, and your blood pressure is high at 150/90.
Objective: To achieve a stable blood pressure of 120/70. (NB such blood pressure targets need to be discussed with your doctor, and will vary according to age and other factors. This is purely for example purposes.)
3. Reason to consider weight loss: You’re sick of being introduced to women, and sensing them looking you up and down with disgust.
Objective: To have women look at you admiringly again.
Those are just three examples; you may have more or less, but you could find it an interesting exercise analyzing yourself to see why you really want to lose weight.
How To Achieve Weight Loss Objectives
Consider those three example objectives above, and you will see that none mention losing weight. However, all are based on convincing reasons, that are more likely to get full co-operation from your subconscious. With those three objectives, losing weight can play an important part in achieving them, without being the main objective itself. So what you have done is to bring a broader front (if you’ll pardon the expression) to your weight loss objective setting.
There’s no reason to stop going to Weight Watchers or other weight loss group; there’s no reason not to have a target weight. After all, they are now in harmony with the three objectives you have already used to seduce your subconscious into co-operation.
How, then, can you set about achieving those objectives? A combination of meditation and visualization each day should help you convince your subconscious you are serious about these objectives. Here are a few tips:
1. Write the objectives down and keep them handy.
2. Read the objectives and repeat them, orally if possible, morning, lunch time and evening.
3. Morning and evening, in a quiet time lying down, relax your body, and focus on your breathing. Gradually dismiss all distraction around you, and then start to focus on each objective in turn. Repeat the objective in your mind, and visualize your successful achievement of it. See yourself proudly trying on that size 12 dress in front of admiring assistants; or walking into a party of strangers and the women looking admiringly at your new physique.
Give no dates for your objectives, let that come naturally. Repeat the process as long as necessary; weeks, months, years. Each time you visualize the achievement of your weight related objectives, your subconscious becomes more in tune with what you, consciously, want. Together, you will become a powerful team in the weight loss game.